Sunday, August 30, 2015

A Walk in the .... Park? August 20th

I love that my new walking trail includes this gorgeous waterfall
I have been told that I will not be able to walk outside once it starts snowing, but that will not stop me from enjoying this beauty every chance that I get!
When I walk on the Provo river trail I am able to see, hear, and feel the beauty that envelopes me.  It reminds me of The Spirit of the Wilderness.  

The Spirit of the Wilderness
Wrapped in the warmth of the mid-morning sun, I lay peacefully on a slab of cool granite, near the bottom of a remarkable cascading waterfall.  I inhale deeply, drawing in the rejuvenating fresh air of the wilderness that surrounds me. Then, slowly, I exhale hoping only to keep, even just a small portion, of the energy that had just entered my being.  Before lying down on my soft rock, I had been reading from scripture; the 88th section of the Doctrine and Covenants.  Something I read hit me, like a gust of wind traveling swiftly through the trees.  It read, “He is in …the earth also, and the power thereof, even the earth upon which you stand (or in this instance, lay),” … He is “The light which is in all things, which giveth life to all things.”  I believe this to be, the Spirit of the wilderness. 
In my life time, I have had the opportunity to go on many adventures.  Some include driving intolerable distances to visit family, going to theme parks to indulge in the thrills the world has to offer, and, of course, getting out into nature to explore the glorious creations that God has given us.  As I reminisce, and ponder the subtle touches of the Spirit in each experience, I am drawn to my explorations in the wilderness. 
One such experience happened this past September.  I had opportunity to go, with one of my dearest friends, on a backpacking trip to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, where we hiked the West Coast Trail.  For six days and five nights, carrying 40 pound backpacks, we strenuously traversed through mud and sand, while incidentally, but thoroughly, enjoying some of the most beautiful country I have ever beheld. Bright blue ocean backdrops with regular whale sightings, forests of trees with puzzling layers of intertwined, exposed roots, and spectacular sunsets that lit up the night sky.  It really was astonishing.  Here are a few of my journal entries: “I like eating on the beach.  The sight and sound of the resilient waves crashing, over and over again, relax my mind and body. I think it even helps my food taste better,”  “Walking along the beach today, noticing that the sand was darker than yesterday, I glimpsed a brightly colored red rock, down in the water.  It was brilliant.  It stood out amidst the darkness, bold and vibrant.  I continued on, hoping desperately, to see another,” “I have a few blisters on my feet… they hurt… badly.  Today I found refuge in sitting next to an ocean stream, to submerge my aching feet. It was like sitting next to an old friend, having them put their arm around me, reassuring that all would be well. The icy cold water was healing.  It took away the sting of my blisters,” and lastly, “The beach was amazing this morning! The crisp, clean, ocean air whistled through me, cleansing my soul.  The sun reminded me of a baby’s yawn upon first wake.  It was innocently peeking out over the trees that lined the coast, as if to sleepily say, ‘I’m not quite ready to wake up, just yet.’”  As I read through my journal entries, I recognize the Spirit in the wilderness.  It is a Spirit that exhales soothing melodies as waves crash.  Its colors give hope and life to darkness, Its flowing streams heal, and the light… oh, the light.  I long for each new day that I might feel the outstretched arms of God through the breathtaking rays of the sun. 
I reference again Doctrine and Covenants 88; “And the light which shineth, which giveth you light,… which light proceedeth forth from the presence of God to fill the immensity of space,” this light “giveth life to all things.”  The Light and Spirit spoken of here is our Savior, Jesus Christ, and as referenced “He giveth life to all things.” 
I believe in the Spirit of the wilderness!

I wrote this paper in my English class last semester.

No comments: