Sunday, August 30, 2015

5th Water Hot Springs Take 2 August 28th

Yesterday I wanted to go exploring to the 5th water hot springs up the Spanish Fork Canyon.  I asked DaNae if she would like to join me, and she said of course. (Yes, DaNae is still in Utah.)  We ended up getting off to a bit of a late start, so we decided to go walk the Provo River trail instead.  Not exactly hot springs, but it was something.
So, Friday came around, and I told DaNae we should try again.  We got of to an earlier start, plugged the destination into the GPS, and got on our way.  This is a picture of the road leading up the "the trail head."  It was ferocious, and we had to stop before arriving at, "the trail head."  We parked my trusty van on the side of the road (if you can call this a road,) and walked to where we thought this, "trail head," should be.

This was our view on the way to the, "trail head."  Nice right?

Well, I'm adding quotations here because there wasn't really ever a trail head.  We thought there would be, as the internet provided a description of our starting point. There never was a "parking lot with a bathroom," as described, but we found what looked like a trail so we forged on.

This is what our trail looked like

 It was literally just less than straight down the side of a mountain.
After sliding/hiking downhill for about an hour, DaNae and I looked at each other and sighed. We knew we weren't even half way down, and that in the end, we would have to make the treacherous accent back up.  We decided to call it quits and head back up. 
On the way up the mountain we had ventured into the brush where our legs became well acquainted with lots of pokey branches.  We stopped a few times to catch our breath, but only after laughing at ourselves for where we were. We enjoyed a little snack, and kept trudging along.It ended up only taking us an hour and 45 minutes to get back to our car, but we weren't without sweat dripping from every pore.  
We found out later from a friend that the easiest access to the springs is from Diamond Fork road.  We were relying on google which probably just brought us as close as possible by road.  Hopefully one day we will make a third attempt at the 5th water hot springs, and we will find our destination.

One might come to the conclusion that today was a bust.  I'm here to tell you that I had just as much fun today, as I do any time I go out exploring.  It's not always so much about the destination, but about the journey we take and the adventure we have along the way.
I always love the adventure!



No comments: