Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Isabel's birthday weekend

Reece and I decided to surprise the kids this year for their birthdays. We got them season passes to Universal Studios. Since Isabel's birthday was first that is when we did the big reveal. They were so surprised and excited. I invited my parents to tag along since they would already be in California.

(Pre courser: we left after Reece got off work on Friday and had to drive through a massive snow storm in Utah and lots of rain in Calif. in the middle of the night. It was ugly, but we made it. I booked my hotel for the wrong night so luckily my parents were coming along or we might've been sleeping in the van)

Anyway, We had a blast!


Harry Potter  was all the buzz for these guys







The butter beer was delicious


and, papa spoiled Isabel with a wand because it was her birthday







All good things must come to an end.
After spending about 2 hours searching for the perfect souvenir, and ending up not getting anything, we headed for the car. Exhausted, we get in the car and begin our drive (about 10:00). We have about a 6 hour drive, until we get to our hotel in Las Vegas.
After about an hour of driving Reece is tired so we pull off the freeway to switch drivers. While pulling off, the car starts acting funny and will not accelerate normally, we make it to the gas station and the car dies.  We are freaking out, and frustrated because we are tired. I'm sure if we weren't tired everything would've been just fine.  No, we don't have AAA, and no our insurance will not pay for a tow of over 15 miles.  Ahhhhhh!!!! We spend the good part of 2 hours trying to figure out what to do. We finally decide to use our free 15 mile tow to get to an auto parts store. Everyone who helps us is very friendly, but we are tired, and cold.
Reece goes with the tow truck driver, and I stay with the kids and try to find a hotel on my phone that is nearing battery termination. Lot's of prayers and a few phone calls later, we have a hotel and a ride to it. We sleep for a few hours and then wake up to deal with our dilemma.
I'll spare you the details, but I'll share with you a picture from our 5 hour stay at the local Costco.


I think Isabel is going to pull the trigger.
All I can really say is thank goodness for Costco.
We had a warm place to stay out of the rain, comfy chairs, books to read, and food to eat.
About $900.00 and a whole day later, we were back on the road. We made it as far as St. George and decided it would be safest to get some sleep.  We finally made it home on Monday afternoon. Reece had missed a half day of work, and the kids a day of school, but all things considered I feel that we were extremely blessed. For starters, we could've broken down in the middle of the Mojave with no tow service or cell service. 
The Lord really does love us and look out for us.

No comments: